The coin collection at the LWL-Museum has its roots in the 19th century. As a result of a spreading interest in history amongst bourgeois society, the Verein für vaterländische Geschichte und Altertumskunde Westfalens (association for national history and Westphalian antiquity studies) was founded in 1825. From the very beginning a collection of objects of historical interest was part of the association’s interests and it was above all coins, in the form of gifts, that found their way into the fledgling collection.
From an early date a keeper of coins was responsible for classifying, researching and extending the inventory. In 1908 the collections of the association were finally transferred to the province of Westphalia’s new regional museum, and it is until today constantly being extended by new acquisitions as well as remaining under the scholarly supervision of a numismatist.
The collection focuses, above all, on coins and medals from Westphalia as well as coins that have been found within the region. Additionally a considerable number of Roman coins and ones from the era of the Ottonians and Salians (10th/11th centuries) are to be found in the collections as well as coiners’ dies and seals, together with banknotes.