The History of the Museum

  • From 1825 onwards the Historical and Archaelogical Society of Westphalia had a museum collection.
  • From 1836 to 1902 the Westfälische Kunstverein (Westphalian Art Society) maintained its own art museum run by volunteers.
  • In 1908 the “Landesmuseum für die Provinz Westfalen” (The Regional Museum for the Province of Westphalia) was opened in a building by the architect Hermann Schedtler from Hannover.
  • Since 1951 the Konrad von Soest Prize has been awarded biannually to an artist either born or working in Westphalia.
  • 1974 the extension building designed by the architect Hans Spiertz was opened.
  • The first edition of skultpur projekte 1977 exceeded the boundaries of the museum’s exhibition spaces.
  • In 1980 the Diepenbroick Portrait Archive coprising more than 100,000 portrait prints was acquired.
  • In 2009 the old extension building was demolished.
  • In 2014 the new building opened. The international architectural competition selected the submission by Volker Staab Architectural Office, Berlin, as the winning design.

⇑ Zum Seitenanfang